Payroll & Benefits Manager
Date posted: October 27, 2023
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
UNIVERSAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the Mission of the Company by identifying and accomplishing team and individual performance goals that directly support the goals of the Company.
- Treat all employees, customers and suppliers with respect and in accordance with the Company’s Code of Ethics.
- Follow all company GMPs and SOPs.
This position will manage and oversee all aspects of the payroll and benefits administration functions, ensuring timely and accurate processing and compliance with all related regulations. The Payroll & Benefits Manager will also be involved in the overall strategy and design of these areas, ensuring compliance with all applicable regulations. This role will report directly to the Vice President – Human Resources and will manage the Payroll & Benefits Team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and oversee all aspects of the payroll and benefits administration function, including payroll, group health benefits and retirement plans (401(k) and ESOP).
- Manage the Payroll & Benefits Team.
- Confirm accurate and timely processing of payroll and administration of employee benefits.
- Ensure the plans’ compliance with the applicable provisions of COBRA, HIPAA, and ERISA.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
- Maintain knowledge of legal changes, trends, developments, and best practices in payroll and benefits administration.
- Serve as back-up support to the Payroll & Benefits Team for all functions of the area.
- Participate in the annual renewal of group health insurance plans; Work with the VP – Human Resources and insurance brokers to create competitive, cost-effective benefits packages for the organization.
- Conduct/complete employee surveys, census, and other research and demographic efforts required to collect accurate quotes from benefit providers.
- Administer the enrollment process for group health insurance and retirement plans.
- Facilitate accurate and timely delivery of employer contributions and employee payroll deductions to carriers, plan administrators, or other appropriate service providers.
- Complete records, reporting, and other documentation required by federal, state, and provider rules, regulations, and policies as it relates to payroll and benefit plans.
- Monitor administrators’ and insurance carriers’ reports to ensure the organization’s compliance with plan requirements.
- Research employee benefits in similar industries; based on findings, recommend changes or updates to the company’s existing benefits or policies.
- Plan and facilitate employee benefit awareness programs as needed.
- Continually review payroll processing systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions.
- Maintain up-to-date SOPs for key functions of the Payroll & Benefits area.
- Facilitate audits by providing records and documentation to auditors.
- Identify and recommend updates to payroll processing software, systems, and procedures.
- Maintain knowledge of economic conditions, labor market, and other factors related to ensuring the organization provides competitive pay and benefits.
- Benchmark jobs against survey data and other market information to determine competitive compensation ranges for each position.
- Gather data from market-based compensation surveys; use spreadsheet and data analysis techniques to assess results and market trends.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, Accounting, Human Resources, or related field required.
- Previous experience in payroll and benefits administration.
- Three to five years of Human Resources experience; including experience in a manufacturing environment preferred.
- Two to three years of previous supervisory experience.
- Experience with Paylocity a plus.
- PC proficient with MS office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Strong analytical and problem skills to resolve complex issues, identify trends/patterns, model alternatives, develop and recommend fact-based solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (verbal and written) and organizational skills.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Attentive to detail.
- Strong leadership and project management skills to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong presentation skills and ability to participate in and facilitate group meetings.
- Ability to shift from various projects and manage frequent interruptions.
- Thorough knowledge of COBRA, HIPAA, and ERISA requirements.
- Bilingual in both English and Spanish a plus.
ABILITIES & SKILLS
- Reasoning – Solve wide range of intellectual and practical problems; variety of variables with limited standardization; interpret instructions & sensitivity to handling confidential information.
- Mathematical – Arithmetic calculations involving fractions, decimals and percentages.
- Language Development – Ability to write, report, or edit articles for publication; prepare and assist with presentations; interview, counsel or advise people; evaluate technical data.
- Physical Effort – Sedentary; exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a legible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
- Visual – Far, near mid-range vision, depth perception and field of vision (peripheral) vision.
- Activity – Talking, hearing, walking, climbing, repetitive motions.
ADDITIONAL BENEFICIAL, BUT NOT REQUIRED, SKILLS:
- Bilingual in both English and Spanish a plus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & ADA STATEMENT
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moderate noise and temperature extremes within either company facility.
This role description does not state that the above are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as required. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with a disability.
Equal Opportunity Employer