Packaging & Regulatory Compliance Specialist
Date posted: June 25, 2021
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
This position is responsible for creating, reviewing and approving labels to ensure compliance with USDA and FDA regulatory requirements. The Packaging & Regulatory Compliance Specialist will work with our customers and suppliers to develop the artwork and packaging requirements for each product. This role requires extensive knowledge of all forms of packaging and printing methods.
UNIVERSAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the Mission of the Company by identifying and accomplishing team and individual performance goals that directly support the goals of the Company.
- Treat all co-workers, customers and suppliers with respect and in accordance with the Company’s Core Values.
- Follow all company GMPs and SOPs
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
PROVIDE REGULATORY LABELING EXPERTISE
- Understand both USDA and FDA labeling regulations.
- Understand CFIA regulations (and other exported regulations).
- Provide guidance/expertise on implications surrounding product naming and standard of identity.
- Proficient with using USDA’s FSIS website.
- Understand eligibility of generic labeling.
- Communicate and work with our label consultants.
- Provide internal guidance on all regulatory issues which impact labeling.
- Keep the company informed with critical regulatory changes.
PACKAGING PROFICIENCY AND EXPERTISE
- Communicate and work with graphic designers/customers/printers/ to develop artwork on required timeline.
- Communicate internally on timelines and issues which impact the customer.
- Attend printer press proofs as needed.
- Utilize customer web-based software programs.
- Successful completion of internal Suter forms to review packaging.
- Understand the pros and cons of various printing options and advise accordingly.
- Develop packaging strategies with various packaging components.
- Identify and provide resolution to strategic and tactical regulatory issues pertaining to food labeling.
MAINTENANCE AND OVERSIGHT OF INTERNAL SYSTEMS
- Create and edit new (and existing) recipes.
- Update current recipe worksheets.
- Understand and maintain Nutrition Facts database.
- Create/update finished goods nutrition decks.
- Understand and maintain Ingredient Line Database.
- Maintain Suter’s internal Packaging Registry system.
- Work with Product Development Team with new product implications.
- Manage Suter’s Spec Registries.
- Create pallet patterns.
- Using and maintaining Suter’s Marketing Tools (die lines, libraries, etc.).
- Ensure label filing system is updated, accurate and ready for auditing by USDA, FDA, SQF certifiers, customers, etc.
SALES AND MARKETING – COST SHEETS
- Set up / update recipes.
- Understand formulas to set up COGS.
- Understand Ingredients / Packaging Pricing.
- Manage sales budgets.
- Understand P&L in COGS / Budgets
- Serve as a liaison between graphic designer, customer, and Suter team(s) to ensure everyone is on the same page.
- Perceive customer needs.
- Manage customer concerns.
- Project Management (packaging changes, product launches).
- Cross functionally working with Suter teams.
Periodic Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in and support sales team activities (meetings, special projects).
- Participate in and support company educational and communication programs.
- Other projects as assigned
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Food Science, Nutrition or Marketing.
- Five years of experience in the packaging and regulatory field, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Familiarity with databases and project management.
ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Working knowledge of Sales and Marketing Principles.
- Provide leadership and direction on packaging changes and opportunities for improvement.
- PC proficient, including experience with MS office (Excel, Word, Outlook) and various database systems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with people at all levels of the organization and external contacts.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities/meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Attentive to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to shift from various projects and manage frequent interruptions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND ADA STATEMENT
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee could be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, significant pace/pressure and moderate noise level.
This role description does not state that the above are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as required.
Equal Opportunity EmployerApply Now