Business Development Manager
Date posted: February 8, 2024
Monday- Thursday 8:00 a.m. -5:00 p.m. and Friday 8:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m.
The primary role of this position is to develop new business through the sales and acquisition of new customers to drive the continued growth of The Suter Company. This is a non-commission, salaried role.
UNIVERSAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the Mission of the Company by identifying and accomplishing team and individual performance goals that directly support the goals of the Company.
- Treat all co-workers, customers and suppliers with respect and in accordance with the Company’s Code of Ethics.
- Follow all company GMPs and SOPs
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Understand the current and future sales opportunities within the shelf stable and refrigerated products industries in order to identify new potential customer relationships that coordinate with The Suter Company’s capabilities, capacity, and values.
- Research and identify RFP opportunities with new potential customers and lead internal efforts for RFP submission process.
- Lead sales presentation efforts for The Suter Company with new prospective customers to gain “entry into the room.” Coordinate these efforts with VP Commercial Team.
- Represent The Suter Company and serve as the primary relationship with customer accounts as assigned, understanding their needs and determining how best to meet them.
- Cultivate a partnering relationship with each customer, focusing on how to optimize their success and balancing that with The Suter Company’s capabilities.
- Lead internal communications regarding all details related to the customer. Coordinate with Supply Chain, Packaging & Regulatory, Customer Success, Product Development Food Safety & Quality, and Operations to ensure customer success.
- Establish COGS for all products sold to assigned customers, with input from purchasing, operations, and the sales team. Address any issue that negatively impacts COGS.
- Develop and execute an annual plan for each customer account to include sales volume, COGS budgets, pricing plans, product development projects, new packaging, cost reduction strategies, new capabilities, etc.
- Monitor customer margins, including freight variance, spoils, promotions, terms, guaranteed product, etc. monthly.
- Present new capability ideas to The Suter Company based on customer needs.
- Lead customer projects, including new processes, new distribution strategies, new products and capabilities, etc. ensuring internal and external communication and action plans are clear and accomplished on time.
- Update sales/volume forecasts on a regular basis.
- Projects as assigned by the VP Commercial Team.
- Position may involve frequent travel (up tp 40%)
PERIODIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in The Suter Company business planning process.
- Submit annual promotional programs for each customer account.
- Actively lead and/or participate in Commercial Team activities, i.e. sales calls and meetings and special projects.
- Participate in weekly Product Development/Product Realization meetings.
- Commit to sensory training and weekly participation to support Product Development.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business, with 8 or more years of combined experience in sales with a preference in the food manufacturing industry.
- Strong working knowledge of sales principles, processes, and procedures.
- Working knowledge of the food manufacturing industry is preferred.
- Excellent presentation, written and oral communication skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, Excel, PowerPoint, and Teams.
- Detailed planning and project management.
ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Reasoning – Comprehend several abstract and concrete variables; using logic or reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions or approaches to problems.
- Mathematical – Add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers and perform arithmetic calculations involving fractions, decimals, and percentages.
- Language Development – Ability to communicate information and ideas by speaking or writing so others will understand; ability to gather and organize information to write reports and/or articles for publication and sales material; can prepare and/or deliver presentations; interview, counsel or advise people; evaluate technical data.
- Physical Effort – Sedentary work: exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects; up to 40% travel.
- Professional – Ability to persuade others to change their minds or behavior; ability to handle complaints, settle disputes, resolve conflicts, or otherwise negotiate with others.
- Vision – Far, near, mid-range vision, color identification, depth perception, field of vision.
- Activity – Talk, hear, walk, stand, finger dexterity (computer especially).
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND ADA STATEMENT
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee could be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, significant pace/pressure, and moderate noise levels.
This role description does not state that the above are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as required.
Equal Opportunity Employer